The different versions came along one after another.
Stilts came first, I have 3 clubs with threaded stems through but no magnets, as well, but they didn't make it to this video. The idea was to screw them into some modded shoes, or something like that. I probably made these around 2010, I tried to find some early footage just now but no luck.
For the other modded clubs, I basically got the ideas from stuff I happened to have on hand. Like, I switched bearings on my unicycle, and ended up with these nice bearings, the same size as the top of a club. It took a few tries, but it worked in the end. The first mistake was actually using the old bearing from the unicycle. Everything was looking good, but then bam. I put in the magnet, and the bearing couldn't spin anymore. The current bearing is plastic with glass balls.
Same with the motor club. I happened to have a useless (sorry, lol) kitchen machine laying around after one Christmas, and after a while I started taking it apart, and playing around with the parts. I realized the motor could fit inside a club.
Then I had a foldable club in the workings, but as I had finished the base (made out of a bike kickstand) it broke by itself. So I have 2 new different designs to try instead. For one of the concepts I have to figure out a solution to some problems with the designs before I can start again, for the other design I just need to have a new club 3D printed.
Which brings us to the last club, the 3D printed one. I was in no small part inspired by Erik Åberg's Ghostcube to start looking for ways to make nicer clubs. I wanted to make clubs which could form a rough square by themselves, to create negative space, which is a concept I've always thought was cool. I thought about the current shape pretty quickly. It just seemed like the most versatile configuration of the concept, without making the parts too thin. I got pretty excited about this, and once the parts arrived, I had already figured out how to arrange the magnets.